Sunday, October 22, 2006

Now that's more like it!

Cam Rock baby! First I want to send out props to the Brazen Dropouts crew for putting on a great race. From registration to an outstanding course they do a great job and know what it takes to put on a first class race. This is one of the best courses we race all season, what I imagine to be more of a "true" cross course with a good mix of grass, single track, hills and run ups.

On to the race report. I definitely dig the later start times of the masters races. I can sleep in and still help get the kids where they have to go before heading out. It makes life a little less stressful. As I was leaving home, Rascal called me to let me know there was snow on the ground and it was a bit nipply out so I threw my mud wheels and warmer clothes in the car just in case. By the time I eluded the Cambridge po-lice and made it to the course, it was warming up nicely to at least 35 degrees. Today was perfect cross conditions. Cold, windy, muddy; feels like Belgium or the Netherlands.

By the time we went off, the course was pretty dug up but it was NOTHING like Whitewater. With the exception of the grassy areas, this race was held on established trails. That means mud, but two inches of it not eight inches! After the first lap, I got the hang of just bombing the corners and letting the depth of the mud keep me upright. I think I gained time on my chasers with every muddy corner. I actually hit the single track on the first lap ahead of Trekie, strong racer and all-around-good-guy Damon Rinard but he was going to have none of this me before him business and quickly put me in his rear view. I spent the first 3 laps with a small group before finally shaking them all off and riding solo for the entire rest of the race. It was kind of nice to just put my head down and go as hard as I could maintain for a few laps without worrying about being passed. The best part was that the course conditions improved with each lap, making for an even more enjoyable race. My only scare came when I dropped my chain right after the barriers near the registration shack on the bell lap. Luckily, I was able to get it back on right away. I don't think I lost any places as there was a guy overtaking me anyway but I don't think he was in the 40+ cat.

Thanks to the Polska crew, Jay and Rascal, and Patrick from Trocadero for giving me some serious encouragement around the course- it always helps to hear someone hollering your name.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I kicked it up another placing to 8th loser today. If I keep it up, maybe I can win a water bottle or something by the end of the series. Damon talked me in to doing the double at Washington Park next week: 40+ then right into the 30+. Should be fun as the Trocaderos always put on a good event. They are another crew that knows what it takes and they make the best of the park every year.

1 comment:

The Shed Master said...

Watch out for the Polska crew - they're evil!