Monday, October 02, 2006

15th loser

As Russell would say. So, for anyone who actually checks in here once in a while, sorry for the lack of posts. Blah, blah, I have no real excuses. Now that the first cross race is in the bag, I can start posting about all things cross.



Firstly, I'm racing the Orange One again this year as my primary machine. The feel of it is great, no matter the terrain and when a bike feels good that's half the battle. It might not be the lightest machine around but then again neither am I.




I picked up the Bianchi San Jose this spring with the intention of using it as my pit bike and for racing in the SS category in the Chicago Cyclocross Cup series. It's kind of turned into my everyday kid hauler with a baby seat and everything though. If I was half the man this guy is I would race it in the WI series. The Ronsta showed that if you got it, you got it, no matter what you're riding. Congrats on showing 'em who's boss Ron.




Two weeks ago a Bianchi Cross Veloce showed up in my stable. It's a nice cushy ride but has the smallest handlebars for some reason. It doesn't feel anything like my Gunnar and I'm looking forward to swapping out some of the parts on it to make it more similar. Primarily a set of these.

Ok, so on to the race report, such as it is. First, having a wicked case of strep for two weeks before the first race the season really effed me up but good. My legs were dead 30 seconds in and my lungs were on fire the whole time. I raced the Masters 40 category, a tough group by any measure. I had a good start, making the barriers in 7th place, rounded the tree and into the field. By the time we came off of the gravel path I was getting passed by nearly the whole field as my body was just shutting it down. I figure that there is an upside though: it can only get better from here! Seriously, with such a crappy race and fitness how can I help but get better? I have no illusions that I'll be placing in the money by the end of the season, but I do believe that I can be placing solid in the top 10 within a few weeks.

Congrats to Nathan for taking his race by minutes over the next kid. The kid sure loves to race bikes and it shows.

1 comment:

jwm said...

You remind me that maybe I need a geared bike for cross.. Not that my odds increase much on a geared bike. Maybe I'll see you chaps this year. I'll consider it success if I can hang to the 2nd obstacle or hill, instead of catching my pants on my seat at the 1st one, like Estabrook last year.