Sunday, October 15, 2006

Movin' on up....

....to the (middle of the pack) to a de-luxe finish at the ra-a-aace. OK, enough Jeffersons theme song. Had a great race and improved on my 15th loser placing of Badger Prairie to 11th loser this week at Lapham Peak. Given my complete lack of technical skills, LP was a good course for me as none were needed. That probably explains the better finish. It was about as nice a day as one could have for racing, unless of course you prefer Belgian-stayle cross in the cold and snow. Generally I like the adverse conditions but I have to admit that today was nice at 55 and sunny.

I started the race DFL as I was yakking with Danny and Bald Erich at the start and paying no attention to what was happening. Mind you, I probably still would have started DFL even if I had been paying attention but whatever. I battled back and forth a few times with Bald Erich and some others before finally getting free of them on lap 4 on the back straightaway. It helps that Erich was on a single speed but hey, I'll take whatever advantage I can get. Anyway, one guy made it back on to my wheel but I had a good run up and dropped him for good. There was just too much distance to the next guy and I couldn't make any closer than about 25 feet by the finish line.

The viral infection I have had for now five weeks is almost gone. Still some hacking and stuff but way better. I also raced Sheboygan WORS last weekend- my only mtb race of the year- and had a better finish than I thought I would; 8th in sport single speed. Today makes three race weekends in a row and if I can manage to get in some good training during the week, I think that consistent top 10 finishes could be a reality in the remaining six Wisconsin and three Illinois cross races. Maybe even better than top 10 in the Illinois series as the competition, at least in years past, has not been quite as strong as Wisconsin's. Speaking of which, the competition in the 40+ masters field is pretty strong here. Jay asked why I didn't just race 4's instead but if I did that I don't think that I would improve as much as racing with the faster guys in masters.

Next week is Whitewater on saturday and CamRock on sunday. I love double race weekends. The second day's race feels great for some reason, however CamRock is a much more technical course so I'll have to see how that goes; I'm looking forward to it anyway.

So, today was a high note to cap off a week of very low notes from pissed off clients to a burglary at my shop. If someone pops the trunk on thier '79 Eldo to sell you some nice power tools cheap, just remember that they probably were stolen from someone like me.

1 comment:

StevenCX said...

Badger Prairie was a blast! Good luck at Cam Rock - I hear it has a long history. How's 'Tosa these days? I lived there in the 90s.