Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Good Time


The 2007 WCA cyclocross banquet was held last night at the Fitchburg Community Center in beautiful Fitchburg Wisconsin. There was an armed policeman type posted outside the door to our hall the whole time. I'm quite sure that it had something to do with Cale, Andy and the rest of the Pegusussy crew. They was just itch'in fer trouble and Johnny Law was gonna be there to bust heads if need be.

Renee Callaway and J.P. Ericsson really put on a great event from the super tasty fajita bar to the fresh kegs of beer. There was a nice presentation by Ben Turner of Cycle-Smart and the Clif Bar Development Team. He had some great ideas about making our events more environmentally friendly and about bringing more kids into cx racing. I'm pretty sure Jay was zoning out bad during the "green" stuff. Damn tree huggers :)

Other notables in attendance were the proprietors of the Rusty Tool Shed and The Darkness himself. Representing Team Polska was a trio of ne'er do wells by the names of Maciej, Marcin and Abby. The Pegasussies threatened to blow our ears out with a cowbell and flugle horn orchestra. Kind of like being at a race except it was colder in the hall we were in. Someone forgot to tell the Fitchburgers to turn up the heat. Don't they know a bunch of bike racers don't have the extra layer of blubber to keep warm in winter?


I got this cool life-size trophy to take home. Had to strap it to the top of the car. I'm not sure where to put it at home though as my trophy room is getting too full for something this big. Oh well, such problems to have.


As you can see, Russell was starting to question his choice of seating. I'm glad he was between me and the obviously deranged Pole.

4 comments:

jwm said...

Whilest y'allz were out partying, I was getting ready for next year.

-jwm

Jay said...

No I recycle and do all that at our house. I was just zoning as he could have covered all he talked in about 25 minutes. Not the 1.5 hours he talked. I think that he just talked to long. I just have the big truck as we go to alot of races and 4 of us race. We also have the cabin in Rhinelander that we go to alot. We need the room and space. Nice night even with the long presentation.

tosacrosser said...

You missed the smiley Jay. I do agree about the presentation being too long. Ben isn't exactly a very motivational speaker either.

Jay said...

I caught that but I just think that the banquet went to long with Ben up there. Maybe pichers of beer on each table would have made it better. I know we need to conserve energy and get kids racing, but the WCA doen't promote any thing for them. You go to the races and the 6 pro men that race get big prizes and the rest get flashing lights. They have things in Madison and it is all about the women there never kid things, although I wouldn't drive there with Nate as the people around here I feel are more knowledgable about racing. I think that the group around here are the only ones that do anything with the kids. Yeah our kids are the ones we work with plus a few that will show up, but no one else ever posts any thing. Maybe Ben should come here and start something like out west. Hug a tree today...