Sunday, January 06, 2008

back to normal

So now the holidays are finally over, I weigh another extra five pounds and it's definitely time to get back to it.

So first some news: After flying the Hayes colors for five years, I'm moving on. I have joined the Cafe Hollander Racing Team for '08 and beyond. Just so there's no misunderstanding, I have nothing against the Hayes Team, or any of the people involved with it. I appreciate the opportunity that the team gave me to race for them, and they are a good bunch of guys. Why then the move, you ask? Well, in the first place, Hollander is much more of a road and 'cross team, whereas Hayes is mostly a track and mtb team. Being that my racing interests lie in road and 'cross, that was the first draw. Secondly, they are more involved with the local racing scene, and also get involved with bike advocacy and the Urban Playground Foundation. Any hey, who wouldn't want to race for a team whose sponsor is known for their beer and french fries??

So, I do have some goals for this year. They are few, and simple: 1) Get down to optimal weight. This used to be an easy thing to do; of course that was
before I turned 40. Now it is hard to do, but is something that I must achieve. Goal weight by spring:159. Weight now:172. 2) Strrrrrretch. Stretching is an activity that I start every winter, and then leave behind as summer approaches. Not this year, no sir. 3) Strengthen my core. This, I think, is imperative to having a better season. Perhaps all of the above directly relate to the lower back pain that has bothered me for most of the past year. It is never bad enough to stop me from activities, but it is a day to day limiter on my overall performance and physical well being. So that's it. Simple, eh?

2008 is off to a good start:



48 miles with the Shedmaster today in the fog. We hit Elm Grove, Pewaukee (where's the lake?) Lake, Hartland, Delafield and almost Nashotah. We ran into new teammate and current master's 40/4 cx champion Tim T. on the way back too. Something tells me that he thought we were nuts for going nearly 50 miles on January 6th. Russell is doing Trans-Iowa so he'll be doing lots of early season long rides. Just what I need for burning off those pesky extra pounds...



3 comments:

jwm said...

You didn't ask, but when I do these:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles.php
(click on core strength part 1-6)

there are some fairly immediate results. Beware, they aren't kidding about not doing to many at the start.

And thanks for the reminder... I should have started those up already.

Good luck on the new team.. French fries you say? I might hold out to see if Kopps starts a team.

-jwm

DIHAF? said...

Nagging back pain.

With me it was from tight hamstrings as I started pushing 40.

Stretching was the key.

I know this chiropractor that told me that it doesn't take long to stretch your muscles but if you want to stretch chronically tight hamstrings you need to stretch all the ligaments and connective tissue etc.

He said in order to do this, try to get in a warm up. Then lay on your back by an inside corner of you house. Keep one leg straight and the other leg straight up at 90 degrees. Build up to 20 minutes per leg.

Watch TV or find some distraction. It is not as bad as it sounds but I have to put something like a piece of cloth under my heel or it starts to bug me.

Yes I am serious. No shenanigans.

Anonymous said...

Man...I hope I never get as old as you guys!