Sunday, June 11, 2006

The road less traveled part 7

Day 6, Luxembourg City to Metlach, Germany. Cycle touring just isn't about cities so we split from Lux City first thing. We were soon on the hill down that we had come up the day before. 40mph for miles on a loaded touring bike- what a gas. At the bottom of the long run down we ran into (not literally) Frank Schleck of Team CSC out for a training ride. I think he can go up faster than we can go down. We stayed the night in Metlach, the HQ for the china company Villeroy and Bach. Lots of factory stores and stuff we weren't interested in but the beer was cold and the room was comfy and clean....

View from my balcony early in the morning. The hotel was called The Hotel Shintgen. We quickly renamed it the Hotel Shithole. Oh well, it was cheap.


We went overland at this point to reach the Saar River shown here.


A bit confusing looking. Check out all the bike route signs.


This was taken at the top of a 2.4km climb. I was feeling groovy. It got so steep in places that I almost fell over.


Instead of the typical beer shot I have to show my dinner. It was called sausagesalat. Julienned bologna, dill pickles and sweet onions in a vinegar dressing with roasted taters. Sound gross? I'm here to tell you it's one happenin' dish. Wash it all down with a few ice cold regional pilsners and you've got a great meal.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I bet it looked the same coming out the other end.