Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blowing off the cobwebs of this blog

Hello? Anyone ever stop here anymore? Besides the Sugs I highly doubt it... and that includes me. If anyone gives a rip, I'll recap the last six months in a few sentences. I gave up the blog pretty much the way I gave up cycling after the fun in summer, but maybe I'll approach this blog with a little of the renewed enthusiasm that I have for cycling and life in general.

Anyway, here goes:

July: back in Froedtert for a week. More bad news after another, larger stroke took my left leg out from under me.

August: rare adverse reaction to the drugs left me with only one option which was to go on an injectable anticoagualant. Didn't figure that would be too bad as it would only be for a month or so.

September: another angiogram and more bad news. Sorry pal, another four months of drugs and restrictions, racing is over before it started. Just to fu*k with my not-so-bad-ol-self even further I decided to try a case of Shingles on for size. If you ever had it you'll know what fun it is.

October: blah, blah, blah. I couldn't even haul my sorry ass to watch my team mates race. My attitude sucked.

November: just for a good measure, my brain misfired and gave me a scare but another MRI showed no further damage so the docs figured it was residual affect from previous damage. Whew.

December 23rd: Merry Christmas to me! Angiogram showed clean artery and I went off the drugs. Time for my pincushion to heal. Can't imagine how type 1 diabetics feel.

January: now it's time to get back to business. I've got 15 pounds to drop and some serious catching up to do. It's gonna be a great '09.

Postscript: Thanks to Steve Roeder and Hollander for sticking by and for everyone's support; I needed it. I figure that the only direction I can go now is up! I learned some valuable lessons in the whole process that I will not soon forget and that is the bright side to the year.

See you on the road...

10 comments:

jwm said...

blog readers do make "stopping by" at the appropriate time easy.

here's to a better '09.

-jwm

Denny Yunk said...

That's right. The true test of friendship is subscription to one's RSS feed.

Looking forward to seeing you on the bike again this year.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I needed one. It's good to hear you will be back.

The Shed Master said...

I thought you were dead!

SugsCandy said...

It is true, you're back! we missed you :)

tosacrosser said...

I was dead Russell. That fiiiish last week brought me back. More fish tonight and I'm getting faster every day. Or maybe that's Nathan, I get confused.

Anonymous said...

Here's to a very healthy and happy 2009. Looking forward to seeing you on the Thursday night beat downs.

Anonymous said...

Happy 2009!! Glad to hear all is well. Looking forward to seeing you on the road, and yes, I will be there too.

DIHAF? said...

Sorry to hear about all you have had to deal with. That didn't sound like super happy fun time. Glad you are feeling better and can get back on with it.

Anonymous said...

"pincushion"..."Can't imagine how type 1 diabetics feel"...I think your "pincushion" statement sums it up pretty well! Think about this, not only do us type 1's have to shot the juice but we also have to stick ourselves in order to check our blood sugar levels 4 to 6 times a day (more like 8+ for me). I'd still rather deal with my type 1 than what you had to deal with. That shit is scary!