Sunday, November 11, 2007

DEVIL TAKE THE HINDMOST

First things first: If you aren't in this picture, YOU MISSED IT! Ten guys, a case a PBR and bikes. What better a way to spend your Sunday morning?

Steve R. set up a sweet, short course in Washington Park that used part of the Halloween course, some of it backwards and some new stuff. One of the benefits of a sanctioned by nobody race is that you get to do whatever you want. Like going full speed down the big hill straight at a tree, and having a concrete path dismount with a concrete stair run up.

The set up: Two 3 lap heats, five guys each. At the end of laps one and two, the last rider gets pulled leaving three to duke it out for the finish. The winner moves on to the 'angel' race, the 2nd and 3rd place riders move on to the 'mere mortal' race and the pulled riders move on to the 'devil' race. Next heats work the same way with pulled riders on laps 1 and 2, and the remaining riders fighting for the finish, except the angel race which only had two riders.

Not being an 'official race', we couldn't exactly close the course. This led to an interesting situation of cars driving on the walking paths throughout the time we were there. WTF is up with that? I can't say I've seen that before....

I won't give a 1FSRR except to say that Tim and I went on to the angel race and he whupped me again. That's ok, by now I'm used to it. The PBR was cold and it was a fun day all in all. It gives me some ideas for next season.

Thanks again to Steve for setting this up. I think some of the attendees were pretty happy to be able to race in an unofficial event for their first race ever, and for the rest of us who race regularly, it was a good way to stay in shape on an off weekend.

Stay tuned to this site for future race announcements. Pic compliments of Phillip who came and did his very first cross race.

3 comments:

jwm said...

Nice work! I had it on my radar, as I woulda had a chance at getting a label for my typical placement. Spent the weekend fending off various diseases instead.

-jwm

The Shed Master said...

You're an Atheist - how can you do an Angel race?

Anonymous said...

The "angel" reference comes from his time as a Victoria's Secret model