Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The road less traveled part 3

Day two we rode from Lof to Bullay. The name of this series of posts is "The Road less traveled" because we mostly went from village to village along small cycle paths and dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. The really cool part is that all of this is actually signposted for bikes so it's hard to get lost even though it's very rural. Day two saw 80 and sunny so the beer tasted extra good at night. My personal name for this tour is Beer & Brats 2. I did Beer & Brats 1 in May of 2004 touring the Rhine River valley in Germany.

This is what we woke up to at 6 am the next day. We heard this loud oom-pah music and looked out the window to see this big group of oldsters doing morning exercises. It was a tour group from the Netherlands that had stayed at the same hotel as us and I think had gone to bed after we did!


Before too long, we were riding through dirt trails in the forest. They were more like MTB trails than anyting but it was totally cool to be riding them on loaded touring bikes. Notice the sign pointing to the next village. And this is on an MTB path!


This is the castle called Burg Eltz. I half expected to see damsels and knights in shining armor when we got to the gate. Call me morbid, but I wondered how many people died building this place......

Late in the day cycling long a railroad access path. Very pleasant riding.


Every day ended with this same ritual so I'll end each blog post with that day's pic of it. Dinner was pretty typical: bratwurst with salad, roasted potatos and sauer kraut. I never did get tired of that meal.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Looks like it was a great time. Glad to see that your Dad is still riding at 78. I hope to be able to ride at that age to. Great pictures.

bubba said...

Welcome back man......looks like you had a nice time. Great pics. as always.

DIHAF? said...

What happened to Mr. Cool? I got acustomed to seeing Mr. Cool here every time I looked. Frankly I find this sudden surge of updates more than a bit unsettling.